Thursday, December 20, 2007

Week 1: A Tale of Two Halves - 49ERS WIN 25-20

Remember those great college stadiums where during the game you would hear the home crowd fans chanting back and forth from one side of the stadium to the other. At Oklahoma games one side will chant "Boomer" while the other side will come back with "Sooner". Well today at Candlestick Park the crowd was pretty thin and in fact, you could count all the 49er fans on one side and the Packer fans on the other without using a caclulator. The shouting war got into it about midway through the first quarter as you could hear the San Francisco fan yelling "WE SUCK" and then the Packer fans would come back with "WE SUCK MORE". Hard to argue with those opinions trust me. The first half of this game was a blunder fest for the 49ers, and the Packers put on a display of why they only won 5 games in 1973. All in all though the Packers did manage to build a 20-7 lead at halftime thanks to John Brodie's fumble on the 49ers own 34 in the first quarter, then another fumble by "Sure hands" Brodie in the second quarter and finally a failed fake punt that resulted in Green Bay getting the ball and taking it all the way down to the 49er 10 yard line. It's not hard to score points even for a pathetic offense like Green Bay's when you only have to go less than a half of a leangth of the field. Hell, the Packer O is so bad that even with the gifts that San Fran gave them they had to settle for 2 field goals instead of what should have been touchdowns which would have given them a commanding 28-7 lead. Not these Packers though, hell I could throw better than Packers QB Jerry Tagge (15-29-142-2 INT.). He done a fine job though of throwing the ball to those red shirts. I guess he thought he was still at Nebraska. Hey, don't get me wrong but I love my Packers win or lose. I'm just a saying, "I am sure glad all these teams are on even playing fields." There is a bright spot for this team, I do have a good running game with John Brockington (29-136), but he will be dead tired by game 3 with all the carries I will be giving him. In the second half, it was truely a magnificant 49er domination. Ed called whale of a game in the second half. Although in truth he was as handcuffed as I was in offensive ability. He put together a impressive drive to start to the second half and had to settle for a field goal which pulled him within 20-10. John Brodie (15-33-221-2TD's.) actually started hitting his receivers even when they was double covered. A feat that Packer QB Tagge should never try even in his sleep. Did I mention that actually on the opening drive San Fran did actually score a TD, but for some reason a 49er decided to hug a Packer lineman and was called for holding. "Holding, I was just wanting to give him a hug for even having to be associated with that team in Green and yellow" said gaurd John Watson. In the 3rd quarter alone, San Fran held the Packer offense to almost nothing. I don't even know why Packer Punter Ron Widby even bothered to come off the field. Heck on second thought, maybe the Packer O should have just stayed on the sidelines. After another Widby punt, the 49ers kicker Bruce Gossett added a 37 yard FG to pull within 7 at 20-13. After the kickoff, the Packer offense took the field and low and behold it didnt' take them long to exit the field. In fact Mr. Tagge himself guided the team right off the field after he threw a INT to Bruce Taylor who took it to the Packer 25 on the very first play from scrimmage on the drive. "I didn't see him" said Tagge. Well no Sh*t sherlock was the reply from a near-by cheerleader. Once again the 49ers had to settle for a FG, actually they likely would have scored a TD but since Ed and I had a crash right after he converted a 3rd and 4 when we got back to the game, he was facing 4th and 4. Even SAT felt sorry for my offense and tried to cheat for me. So anyway it is now 20-16 in the 4th and I am holding out hope that just once I can cover more than 10 yards to kill some clock. Well wishing was what it turned out to be, cause the well was dry and the 49er defense had become nothing but a brick wall in the second half. After a 49er punt pinned the Packers at its own 2, nothing magic about the call as I thought, hell surely Brock can get it out of the end zone and give me some breathing room. Well Ed had me keyed and Brock was so damned tired he even carried a pillow to the huddle with him. "Don't give that damn ball to me, I'm having a hard enough time just standing up". Well in all my wisdom, I give him the ball, and he gets tackled in the end zone for a safety. 20-18, hey at least I still have the lead. On the ensuing free kick, Chester Marcol kicks it out of bounds setting the 49ers up at midfield. To this day I am mind boggled how any kicker can kick the ball out of bounds when he is standing in the middle of the field when he kicks. Crooked leg I guess. After a bone head offside penalty by the Packers, Brodie throws an incomplete pass then goes right back to Gene Washington but this time connects for a 45 yard strike. The Fat lady was beginning to hum. With one last chance and very little faith the Packers get the ball back. Scared to death to call the pass due to having the best QB in the land (Sarcism) I figured I would mix it up, run, run, run, run, run oh and pass. Actually to be truthful I passed more than I mentioned on this drive, but surely everyone gets the picture. Thanks to Ed backing off a little with a zone defesne it opened up some good gains with the screen and short passes. That is when Mr. HUSKER could actually hit a receiver that was actually his and not one wearing red. After getting down to the SF 19 yard line, with still over 1 minute to go the chance was there to still pull this game out. During this drive Tagge had gone 5-5 in passing, but the next two passes doesn't even come close to the receiver, well at least not one in green, and then on 3rd down he throws a screen that was sniffed out big time by Ed and company (great call by the way Ed) which nets 1 yard. Now it is 4th and 9, and everyone knows it is going to be a pass. The 49er defense brought the pressure and caused Tagge to panic and once again he thought he was in college at Nebraska and tucks the ball to run. BAM, no gain MR HUSKER. Game over. Hey anyone need a QB? Now in all seriousness, I had a great time playing Ed. He called a truely excellent 2nd half and in truth we both struggled to capitalize on turnovers. Just remind me to not do a 1973 replay with these Packers soon.



-contributed by Bill Vogt-

No comments: